It’s far too easy to waste your precious time and energy comparing yourself to other people. Stop comparing and make a commitment to get on with your Important Work instead.
Wasting energy trying to be someone else
I spent many years comparing myself to others, usually people with a lot more energy than I had. I even tried to emulate one or two of them with disastrous results for my own health. Eventually I realised that the only life I could live was mine. The only work I could make was MY work. It was high time that I stopped comparing other people.
Drawing a tin of sardines changed everything
It took me a long time to learn this, and not before I’d spent a number of years trying to be a landscape painter. I painted very large landscapes, because the artists I admired the most were landscape painters. One day, too exhausted to paint I drew a small tin of sardines instead. Suddenly I was on a new and far more personally authentic path.
Stop comparing! Focus on what’s truly important
At the start of the New Year, it feels timely to remind myself about the importance of not wasting my energy on comparing myself with others. Going into 2016 I shall continue to focus on what is really important to me. That way I can be confident that I’m giving myself the best chance of leading the creative life that I’m meant to lead.
This strikes me as good advice for everyone, not just those of us with limited energy.
If you stop comparing yourself to others you’ll:
- begin to discover what’s truly important to you.
- have more time and energy to devote to your own creative journey.
- feel FAR better about yourself.
- suffer far less from those energy draining feelings of jealousy and inadequacy
- be able to be inspired by others’ work rather than dragged down by it.
The Important Work Letter
If you enjoyed this post then you may also enjoy my fortnightly(ish) email letter, The Important Work Letter.
The letter offers gentle encouragement and inspiration to help you get you Important Work done.
- How to Stop Comparing Yourself to Other People: 5 Effective Tips over on The Positivity Blog
- Creating a Life Worth Living by Carol Lloyd. Good advice and exercises to help you get your life into the right shape for you.
- Never Too Late: My Musical Life Story by John Holt. My favourite inspirational story about how one man learns to follow his dream.